Friday, February 02, 2007

Infosecurity - JUST a US affair??

The title of this Blog is Infosecurity - Thoughts of a Brit in Cyberspace. The Infosecurity part is obvious; Its what I do. However, I want to comment on the Brit part. Of course, it could be construed as being obvious too. After all, I am a Brit, but the role of countries outside of the US in Infosecurity seems to be to follow whatever America is doing.

I dont know if that is a good thing. The rest of the world has differing needs, different work practices and different regulations. For instance, in Germany, you are not allowed to monitor an employees machines for many different kinds of information that you ARE allowed to in the US. This leads to the majority of vendor products not matching the requirements of the companies based in Germany. Germany has some of the biggest companies (by numbers of employees) in the world.

This "internalised" view of the needs of the user is quite an annoying thing when you work for one of these companies (as I do) You feel the frustration every day. Now dont get me wrong, I am not US bashing here. I just wish that they would consider other countries when they do anything......

No comments: